I started out with a recipe that I found in the Family Kitchen Cookbook and made some changes to suit my family. On page 87, Cheesy potato-topped tuna pie. Delicious!
It really is but I decided to make a few small changes. Why not, right?
Sweet Potato Tuna Pie
By Danielle Morris-Brewer,
3 Oct 2016
This is a modified version of Cheesy potato-topped tuna pie
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook time:35-40 minutes
- 1kg sweet potatoes
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 100g cheese (cheddar I used)
- 2 tins of 185g tuna in water
- 200g frozen sweetcorn
- 200g frozen peas
- 6 spring onions
- fresh parsley (I grabbed a handful and chopped)
- Boiled the peeled sweet potatoes until soft
- In another saucepan over low heat, melt the butter and added in the flour until it started to look like a paste.
- Pre-heat your oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas mark 6.
- Slowly add in the milk and once all in start adding in the cheese (grating it first helps)
- Add chopped spring onions, drained tuna, sweetcorn and peas and parsley.
- Drain the water away from the potatoes, and mash. No I didn’t add milk and butter.
- Give another stir of the tuna filling, for good measure and pour into an oven-proof dish.
- Spread out evenly and then add the sweet potato mash on top. Using a fork you can make pretty patterns but I was rushing and smoothed with the back of the spoon.
- Pop into the over for 20 – 25 minutes.
Yes that is it. Did you also notice that I forgot to season. That’s right, no added salt or pepper. So depending how finely you chop the spring onions, you can dish this one straight out to your toddles bowl too.
My eldest daughter, had thirds. The greedy moo, had to remind her that she needed to leave some for her Dad that hadn’t made it home from work yet. My youngest daughter loved it too. She actually cleared her plate. That was a shock. I didn’t even have to resort in offering to feed her, just to get her to finish it. When my husband come home, rest disappeared. No surprise there.
Please let me know if you try this out or made your own version of that tuna pie.